Home

About the Girl

DIY/Tutorials

SIPIDI Saturday

Food & Recipes

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

New Beginnings

Four months....four long months since I've posted on this little blog of mine. It's been too long. Of course I could give you the myriad of excuses, but let's just leave it as this winter/spring was tough. Emotionally and physically it was rough and my desire to create seemed to vanish. Then of course came summer and with it the beauty of fresh vegetables from the garden, long boat rides, and spending time with friends and family. My spirit was refreshed and my desire to create came back. My brain is practically buzzing with ideas, though that also might be the coffee. Either way, I'll take it.

One way that helped me get my creativity back, was putting up little things around me that inspired me. Most of the time it's a simple picture, or a hastily written sticky note. I wanted something more permanent so I decided to create a visual reminder of several of my favorite Bible verses. They are particularly meaningful to me in this season of life, and what could be a better thing to do than put them on display? Now everyday I can be reminded by the words and enjoy the way it is showcased. Here's how to make your own!

Materials
- Picture frame
- Printer and paper
- Lace
- Needle and thread
- Button
- Hot glue

For the actual printout I played around in Microsoft Word until I found exactly what I wanted. The two types of font that I used were Monotype Corsiva and Old English Text MT, and I printed it out on normal 8.5 x 11 inch paper. After placing the paper in the frame I knew that it needed another touch so I decided to add a flower as well.
 Begin by cutting out three circles of lace. I think lace is best here because it is forgiving and easy to work with, but any type of material you choose will be fine.
 Place the three circles on top of each other
Pinch underneath the middle of the three circles, leaving about half an inch underneath your fingers. 
 Using your needle and thread, tack the middle into place with a few stitches. 
 Now pinch it from the other direction. Often here I find myself folding or pinching in whatever direction makes it look more like a pretty flower. Trial and error is often my friend and yields the best results. Continue with the thread and place stitches in the middle until the flower is secure. 
 I used a random button from my pile to add a finishing touch. 
Beads also work as well. 
 Sew it into place. I then hot glued it to the frame to secure it, and knowing I could peel it off if I ever decided to change it.  
 
 Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment